09 January 2021 at 02:00PM
President's Letter - January 2021
It’s a new year, but we still are facing a unique set of challenges. I am still optimistic that change will come, and things will improve this year. The Chapter has planned on a return to in-person meetings late in the third quarter.
We are still optimistic that this is achievable, but we will weigh the benefits vs. risks before doing so.
The return to in-person meetings means our volunteer needs will increase. During COVID, the Chapter has managed to provide virtual programs with a skeleton crew. Still, as we continue to add additional offerings and return in person, we will need volunteers from the membership to execute them.
Being a volunteer means that you are offering something – something that is not required nor an obligation. Most of the time, to volunteer, means that you are working side by side with others.
This connects you to other human beings as you are working toward a common goal. When you volunteer, you are making connections.
Our volunteers are busy people. They have jobs, families, and obligations to tend to. They all are volunteering on their own time. If you choose to volunteer, do not overextend yourself to the extent that you will let someone down or not fulfill expectations. Do something that matters. You are choosing to use the time to work for something. Be sure to give it your best shot!
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Personal development of leadership and other soft skills in a non-threatening environment
- Peer recognition through interaction and publicity of Chapter activities
- Development of a peer network within the inner circle of volunteers
- Participation in special leadership meetings with Chapter officers
- Potential for succession to Chapter leadership positions
- The satisfaction of contributing to the Chapter’s success and celebrating it at special volunteer-only events
- Credit (PDUs) toward certification renewal
If you’re interested in volunteering, then click on the link below to learn more about volunteering with the Chapter.